Monday, January 10, 2011

bookmark the second

I've already done what I threatened. This is how I made a pretty bookmark!

Materials:
1 metre beading wire
1 particularly pretty Venetian glass bead
1 tube of other beads in complementary colours

Also some tiny metal bead-thingys (I'm sure there's a name for them but I can't remember it). You will need four for this bookmark.
Some pliers to squash them with, to hold the beads in place:

Cut the piece of wire to your desired specifications. It should be roughly long enough to sit in place in a book with beaded sections hanging out on either side.

Scrutinise your beads.
Think hard.
Start creating!
Once you have a short chain of beads that you are happy with, squeeze in place another metal-thingy to stop the beads from slithering up and down the wire.
Place the bookmark in a normally-sized book. At the other end of the wire, squeeze on another metal-thingy (I really need a better name for this) for the next little chain of beads.
Then start threading again! I made the second chain slightly shorter and used slightly smaller beads than the other one, but it's completely up to you.

When finished, squeeze on the last metal-thingy, and cut the wire off at the ends.
Ta-dah!


I christen thee, o bookmark .... any ideas???? 'Helga' is running through my head and blanking out any other possible names, so I'm going to need some help.

** I bought the beads and other materials at Beadz Unlimited, an awesome beads shop at the Christchurch Arts Centre (awesome even though they have, for some reason, decided it was a good idea to sell an earthquake-ravaged house as a charm bracelet bead). If you're ever in town you should definitely have a look. **

No comments:

Post a Comment