Tuesday, January 4, 2011

merry Christmas to me


For Christmas, my flatmate gave me this little bookmark, which she bought at a craft fair. It's made of brightly-coloured, large beads, threaded (and held in place) on an elastic which hooks around the book holding your place.

At first I was a little doubtful because I don't use bookmarks usually. Instead, I just throw in an old receipt or something, because, when I lose it, it won't matter. But now I am sold! I love bookmarks! They're pretty! Especially bookmarks like this, which are practical and don't mess up the book or get squashed or lost easily, et cetera.

It actually looks pretty simple to make, and so I started wondering if there were equally pretty bookmark ideas out there? Internet search engine, here I come. Of course, I had to wade through a whole bunch of "easy bookmark for kids" websites, but here are a couple of pages that have some gorgeous ideas, some of which I plan to try:

This was the best of the webpages - it links to 38 different bookmark ideas, with photos, and they all look very pretty and very polished but also achievable:
http://tipnut.com/make-bookmarks/

If you can do tatting (I have no idea what it is but assume it's something like crochet, which I can't do!), this is quite a pretty bookmark:
http://www.craftown.com/tat/pat17.htm

And I quite liked this idea for a beaded bookmark. Don't be put off by the phrase "teen crafts":
http://parentingteens.about.com/od/schoolcrafts/ss/bookmark1.htm

The best of British luck to you! I will keep you posted on my own attempts at bookmark creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment